Monday, July 29, 2013

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (review by Zina J. '14)

A Thousand Splendid SunsA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Khaled Hosseini’s A Thousand Splendid Suns is so enchanting, I devoured it in three days. The novel illustrates the lives of Laila and Mariam, two Afghani women from different backgrounds, and emphasizes the stance of women’s rights in Afghanistan. The vivid imagery, violent motifs, perfect use of themes, and incorporation of cultural terms empowered the novel. This book made Khaled Hosseini one of my all-time favorite authors. This page-turner left a lasting impact on me, changed my perception of women’s rights internationally, and made me appreciate the feminist movement in America. This book is a must-read for everyone, especially those interested in the Middle East or the feminist movement. A Thousand Splendid Suns was even better than Hosseini 's earlier book, The Kite Runner, which is hard to surpass. - Zina J. '14

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment