Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (review by Anika J. '17)

The Casual VacancyThe Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In the small British town of Pagford, the death of Barry Fairbrother sets off a chain of events that change everything. He leaves behind an empty council seat, commonly referred to as a casual vacancy. Immediately, Cubby Hall, Simon Price, and Parminder Jawanda begin vying for it, causing a social war between factions in town. Families and friends turn against each other, and nobody knows whom they can trust. Personally, I lost my interest near the end because it felt like too much detail was included and unnecessary conflicts had arisen. The novel starts as a comedy but soon evolves into a grim tragedy. A few of the events were a little too depressing for my taste. On the other hand, J.K. Rowling paints a perfect picture of what it would be like to live in Pagford. In general, I enjoyed Casual Vacancy and would definitely suggest it to someone looking for a long yet eventful read. – Anika J. ‘17

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment