Friday, May 24, 2013

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (review by Sophia S. '15)

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I admit I was drawn to this book due to its mysterious cover. Who doesn't love female spies? I had hoped that Etiquette and Espionage would enliven the female spy character utilized by some authors – it has been rendered trite by many. Unfortunately, this book does not overcome that particular banality. Carriger's sophisticated writing, however, is appealing, especially in tandem with the snort-out-loud sass that the main character Sophronia produces. In the midst of the espionage is a science fictional backdrop of steam punk Britain, which provides interesting fodder for adventure. The sequel should be an interesting read, and I am looking forward to the emotional development of the young female protagonist. A light novel; readers of Scott Westerfeld’s Leviathan series will enjoy this sci-spy title. – Sophia S. ‘15

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment