Monday, March 27, 2017

The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore (review by Connie M. '17)

The Last Days of NightThe Last Days of Night by Graham Moore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I picked up The Last Days of Night from the "free book" rack, I was doubtful of whether Graham Moore's second novel would live up to the whirlwind Gilded Age adventure the back cover promised. However, the fact that this novel is based on, of all things, a patent lawsuit, impressed me all the more when I found myself completely absorbed in the incredibly intelligent and fast-paced plot. Moore skillfully paints his characters with depth and unique personalities, many of whom are well-known historical figures (Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, J.P. Morgan, etc.). I loved getting to know the eccentricities of these almost legendary people, and Moore periodically provides wonderfully profound insights into the way their minds operate. My only reservation is that Moore can sometimes overdo the most unique parts of his writing. For example, I found the quotes that he placed before each of the very short chapters more distracting than helpful, and his insights can occasionally be presented more subtly. Overall, The Last Days of Night was refreshing and exciting and would be a great read in particular for fans of historical fiction, law, or the history of inventions. - Connie M. '17

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment