Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr. (review by Monica K. '14)

Everything Matters!Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In thirty six years, everyone on Earth will die.

Entrusted with this knowledge since birth, Junior Thibodeau must navigate the messy thirty odd years with his alcoholic mother, silent, stoic father, and cocaine-addict-turned-pro-baseball-player brother, all while dealing with breakup from the love of his life and the mysterious voice in his head insisting a comet will smash into the Earth in T minus x amount of years. Sounds weird/awesome/crazy/exhausting? Well, I agree!

While the seamless interplay of first, second, and third person narrative, love, and family drama shows off Currie's talent as a writer, Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr. has a detached and cerebral approach to it, unlike the more visceral, emotional first or third person perspective of most teen books. Rather than empathizing with the characters, I related more with the situations and messages woven into the novel. Fans of Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman, The Magicians by Lev Grossman (who, by the way, are twins! I swear I had no idea.), and Kurt Vonnegut may like this book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment